Ways to deepen your understanding and support initiatives advancing equity, affordability, and environmental vitality in housing
Tools and Resources
- Check out Rewiring America’s overview of the climate and electrification investments being made through the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) and their potential for affecting meaningful change in vulnerable communities.
- If you’re curious to see what incentives you’re eligible for through the IRA, the Rewiring America website also has a calculator you can use.
- This new report by the Terner Center and the Center for Community Innovation at UC Berkeley explores barriers to equity in ADU construction and policy recommendations for addressing them.
- The Terner Center also released another report of interest back in April, which focuses on the availability of homes that are affordable for middle-income families in California and actions that cities could take to increase production.
Engage and Network
Upcoming opportunities to learn about intersectional approaches and work
Image by Sergio Ruiz
Streamlining Building Decarbonization for a Cleaner California
September 8 | 12:30-1:30 pm
Join us for a conversation on electrical service upgrades, their potential for helping California meet its building decarbonization goals, and ways to improve the process (or avoid it altogether). Co-sponsored by Build It Green and SPUR!
Image by Paperkites
13th Annual California Climate & Energy Forum: Accelerating Climate Action & Advancing Justice | September 21-22 | multiple-day, in-person event
This is an annual opportunity for decisionmakers, government staff, and community organizations working in the climate and energy space to gather and collaborate. We’ll be tabling there, so come say hi!
- Upcoming workshops from PG&E, the City of Oakland, and SF Environment about electric service upgrades and how to avoid them:
- Now & Next: The State of Race, Today and Tomorrow: How has redlining persisted into the modern day?(Greenlining Institute | September 8, 10-11:30am)
- How to Tackle Climate Change and Housing Affordability (Urban Environmentalists | September 11, 11am)
- Net Zero Conference (Verdical Group | September 14-15, all-day and in-person)
- Electric Induction Kitchens – The Future is Now and We’re Cooking With Magnets! (San Diego Green Building Council | September 19, 10am-12pm)
- Electrified Construction Coalition Roundtable (USGBC-LA | September 21, 12-2pm)
- Deep Dive on Affordable Housing: Affordable Housing Finance (SV@Home | September 27, 12-1:30pm)
- 13th Zero Carbon Retreat (Redwood Energy, sponsored by BDC | September 28-29, starting at 10am each day
- Climate Change and Small Housing (Casita Coalition | September 30, 11am-12pm) Registration link to come.
Stories of efforts that can enable holistic, regenerative change in California housing and communities
- “California Legislature invests in building decarbonization and electric heat pumps” (Building Decarbonization Coalition)
- “California legislators reach ‘monumental’ deal to increase housing density in commercial areas” (San Francisco Chronicle)
- “Can Anacostia build a bridge without displacing its people?” (New York Times)
- “Gov. Newsom launches unprecedented review of San Francisco’s housing approval process” (San Francisco Chronicle)
- “The Bay Area property owners fighting the housing crisis by turning their office into a home” (SFGATE)
- Check out this overview of Google’s $1 billion investment in Bay Area housing.
Header image courtesy of StinkyJess on iStock.